List of Town Officials
Board of Civil Authority
Delinquent Tax Collector
Justice of the Peace
Board of Tax Abatement
Members include the Board of Civil Authority, Listers and Town Treasurer.
Twenty-four V.S.A. § 1535 provides authority to abate, in whole or in part, taxes, interest an
collection fees accruing to the town in the following cases:
- taxes of persons who have died insolvent;
- taxes of persons who have moved from the state;
- taxes of persons who are unable to pay their taxes, interest, and collection fees;
- taxes in which there is manifest error or a mistake of the listers;
- taxes upon real or personal property lost or destroyed during the tax year; and
- certain taxes exempt under 32 V.S.A. § 3802(11).
- taxes upon a mobile home moved from the town during the tax year as a result of a change in
use of the mobile home park land or parts thereof, or closure of the mobile home park in
which the mobile home was sited, pursuant to 10 V.S.A. § 6237.
Important information about Abatements
There are no deadlines to request an abatement.
An abatement is not a tax appeal - a decision from the board of abatement will not affect the property value assessed to that property.
The board cannot abate only interest and penalty.